1. Title of the Article
Example: “Arranging a Marriage in India”
2. State the Main Point of the Article:
Example: The main point of this article is that in India marriages are not based on love, but are arranged by the parents to ensure stability and the well-being of the whole family. (Be specific, precise, and to the point.)
- List three important facts that the author uses to support the main idea. Please note: Your fact statement must be followed by a specific example from the article. If you are stating that Americans and Mexicans have different communication systems, you need to endorse it and say: for example, most Mexicans speak Spanish; but most Americans speak English.
Facts must be statements in the article based on research and provide precise examples to support the main idea. Example:
a. Sita, agrees with arranged marriages and thinks marriage is too important to be left to the decision of young and inexperienced sons or daughters such as herself.
b.Divorce in India is a scandal and Marriage binds two families and not just the bride and groom.
c. In one case a girl was not favored as a good candidate for marriage because she was “too educated” and considered too independent.
4. What information or ideas discussed in this article are also discussed in your textbook or other readings you have done or videos you have watched? List the textbook chapters and page numbers if your reference is a reading source.
* Do not skip this question. It is important for developing your skills in integrating ideas or facts.
* Do not just give a chapter and page numbers or a link to a video. Write a phrase or sentence regarding the connection.
Assigned Video on Arranged Marriages in Nepal shows special aspects of arranged marriages.