Choose a recent (no older than one year) article (newspaper, magazine, industry journal) that relates with one of a management function and write an article review paper. Choose from 1 of 4 functions Planning, Organizations, Leading, or Controlling
Article Analysis Worksheet
An article review is a piece of writing where you summarize and assess another person’s article. It entails a logical evaluation of the central theme of the article, supporting arguments and implications for further research.
TIPS of getting started:
- Define the main idea: When reading for the 1st time, concentrate on the overall impression. Brainstorm ideas on what the author wanted to tell and think whether he or she has managed to reach the goal.
- Look up unknown terms. Don’t know the meaning of certain words and expressions? Highlight them and don’t forget to check what they mean using reliable sources of information.
- Highlight the most significant ideas. When reading for the 2nd time, take a highlighter to emphasize the most vital ideas for understanding the article.
- Write an outline. A well-written outline will ease your life significantly. All your thoughts will be grouped. The detailed plan helps not miss anything important. Think of those questions that should be answered in the process of writing.
- Brainstorm title ideas. When choosing an article, bear in mind: it should reflect the main idea. Make it eye-catching and concise.
- Check an article review format example. You should check whether you know how to cite an article using the proper style.
- Write a good introduction. Provide the central ideas presented in work in just one brief paragraph. Make an accent on the key concepts and arguments of the author. Include a thesis at the end of the introduction.
- Write in a formal style. Use the third-person and remember that this assignment should be written in accordance with a formal academic writing style.
- Summarize, provide your critique, and conclude. Express your opinion on whether the author has achieved his or her goal or not. Mention the drawbacks of the work if there are any and highlight its strong points as well.