This assignment is intended to provide students with an array of experiential education opportunities outside of the classroom. It will provide the following:
- Connect classroom learning with workplace experience.
- Broaden the view of opportunities for students at many different companies.
- Create a starting point for learning how to network with professionals.
- Practice professionalism and business etiquette.
- Help to define potential career paths after graduation.
- Get a real look into different career paths you can potentially take.
- Use this time as a “pre-interview” for potential internship, co-op, or job opportunities.
- See different ways you can incorporate your major into a career.
- Practice using professionalism and gain some hands-on experience networking with other professionals.
Students will create a voice audio presentation. Obtain relevant information either in person or via Internet of a CEO, Manager, Director, or any key player within the organization. Deliverables for this assignment include:
Engage the audience.
Stay within the allotted time limit (approximately 10 minutes).
Voice should be embedded on each slide.
Must add value to what is presented on the slide to improve the understanding of your work.
Suggested Questions for an Informational Interview
- How did you get started in this field?
- What is your educational background?
- What are your major responsibilities?
- What is the most/least rewarding aspect of your job?
- What advice do you have for a person attempting to break into this career field?
- What is the most common career path?
- What are some lifestyle considerations for this career field?
- What are some common entry-level positions in the field of _____?
- What kind of salary range and benefits could an entry-level person expect to receive?
- What is the best educational preparation for a career in this field?
- Which classes and experience would be most helpful to obtain while still in college?
- What is the turnover rate for the organization? What are potential career paths within the organization?
- How do people find out about open positions in this field?
- What is the outlook for this career?
You can do the presentation on your current company or a different one. The idea is to have a discussion with a senior leadership member at the organization.
My current company is Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen. And I am the General Manager.
Lets do a mock interview with the vice president of the company.