APA format, on “does our past influence or connect to racial inequity in schools today?”
with these questions implemented:
- Was there something in the readings that you had never considered?
- Are there ideas you agree/disagree with (make sure to base this on evidence and not opinion or emotion)?
- How have these ideas deepened, challenged or changed your understandings of inequity?
- Did any of the ideas presented help to frame experiences you have observed in schools
the following readings: (only 3-4 readings)
Zitkala-sa/ Bonnin, G. S. (1921). American Indian Stories. Washington: Hayworth Publishing House. http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/zitkala-sa/stories/school.html (Links to an external site.)
Beals, M.P. (1994). Warriors don’t cry: Searing memoir of battle to integrate Little Rock. New York: Washington Square Press. Chapters 10-11,
Hannah-Jones, N. (2016) “Choosing a School for My Daughter in a Segregated City.” New York Times Magazine. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/magazine/choosing-a-school-for-my-daughter-in-a-segregated-city.html?mwrsm=Email
Bigelow, B., Miner, B., & Peterson, B. (Eds.). (1991; 1998). Rethinking Columbus: the next 500 years. Rethinking Schools.
- Sark Heinrich, J. Native Americans: What Not to Teach, 15.
- Peterson, B. Columbus and Native Issues in the Elementary Classroom, 16-20.
Moorhead, L. (2018). LGBTQ+ visibility in the K–12 curriculum. Phi Delta Kappan, 100(2), 22-26.
Loewen, J. (2008). “Gone With the Wind: The Invisibility of Racism in American History Textbooks.” Lies My Teacher Told Me, 137-170.