NURS 6053/NURS 6053N/NRSE 6053C/NURS 6053C/NURS 6053A/NRSE 6053A: Interprofessional Organizational and Systems Leadership
- Module 3
- Discussion 1
- Discussion 2
- NURS 6053/NURS 6053N/NRSE 6053C/NURS 6053C/NURS 6053A/NRSE 6053A: Interprofessional Organizational and Systems Leadership
- Back to Course Home
- Course Calendar
- Course Information
- Resource List
- Support, Guidelines, and Policies
- Module 1
- Module 2
- Module 3
- Module 4
- Module 5
Module 3: Leadership (Weeks 4-6)
Laureate Education (Producer). (2018). The Leader in You [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Accessible player –Downloads–Download Video w/CCDownload AudioDownload TranscriptLearning ObjectivesStudents will:
- Analyze the effectiveness and impact of leadership skills
- Assess personal leadership traits
- Analyze how leadership traits can be applied to personal leadership philosophies and behaviors
- Develop a personal leadership philosophy
- Create a development plan related to personal leadership philosophies
Due ByAssignmentWeek 4, Days 1–2Read the Learning Resources.
Compose your initial Discussion 1 post.Week 4, Day 3Post your initial Discussion 1 post.
Begin to compose your Assignment.Week 4, Days 4-5Review peer Discussion 1 posts.
Compose your peer Discussion 1 responses.
Continue to compose your Assignment.Week 4, Day 6Post two peer Discussion 1 responses.Week 5, Days 1-2Compose your initial Discussion 2 post.
Continue to compose your Assignment.Week 5, Day 3Post your initial Discussion 2 post.
Continue to compose your Assignment.Week 5, Days 4-5Review peer Discussion 2 posts.
Compose your peer Discussion 2 responses.
Continue to compose your Assignment.Week 5, Day 6Post two peer Discussion 2 responses.Week 6, Days 1- 6Continue to compose your Assignment.Week 6, Day 7Deadline to submit your Assignment.
Marshall, E., & Broome, M. (2017). Transformational leadership in nursing: From expert clinician to influential leader (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
- Chapter 1, “Expert Clinician to Transformational Leader in a Complex Health Care Organization: Foundations” (pp. 7–20 ONLY)
- Chapter 6, “Frameworks for Becoming a Transformational Leader” (pp. 145–170)
- Chapter 7, “Becoming a Leader: It’s All About You” (pp. 171–194)
Duggan, K., Aisaka, K., Tabak, R. G., Smith, C., Erwin, P., & Brownson, R. C. (2015). Implementing administrative evidence-based practices: Lessons from the field in six local health departments across the United States. BMC Health Services Research, 15(1). doi:10.1186/s12913-015-0891-3. Retrieved from https://bmchealthservres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12913-015-0891-3
Resources for the StrengthsFinder Assessment Tool
Rath, T. (2007). Strengths Finder 2.0 – with Access Code.
Purchase the access code from the Walden bookstore. Then follow the instructions in the document “How to Access the Strengths Finder 2.0.
Document: How to Access Strengths Finder 2.0 (PDF)
Laureate Education (Producer). (2014). Leadership [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Accessible player –Downloads–Download Video w/CCDownload AudioDownload Transcript
Moore Foundation. (n.d.). Nurses share lessons in leadership. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLopRJPO6GaifsYPGP_jcWXZzU10H3AaX7
Discussion 1: Leadership Theories in Practice
A walk through the Business section of any bookstore or a quick Internet search on the topic will reveal a seemingly endless supply of writings on leadership. Formal research literature is also teeming with volumes on the subject.
However, your own observation and experiences may suggest these theories are not always so easily found in practice. Not that the potential isn’t there; current evidence suggests that leadership factors such as emotional intelligence and transformational leadership behaviors, for example, can be highly effective for leading nurses and organizations.
Yet, how well are these theories put to practice? In this Discussion, you will examine formal leadership theories. You will compare these theories to behaviors you have observed firsthand and discuss their effectiveness in impacting your organization.
- Review the Resources and examine the leadership theories and behaviors introduced.
- Identify two to three scholarly resources, in addition to this Module’s readings, that evaluate the impact of leadership behaviors in creating healthy work environments.
- Reflect on the leadership behaviors presented in the three resources that you selected for review.
By Day 3 of Week 4
Post two key insights you had from the scholarly resources you selected. Describe a leader whom you have seen use such behaviors and skills, or a situation where you have seen these behaviors and skills used in practice. Be specific and provide examples. Then, explain to what extent these skills were effective and how their practice impacted the workplace