-Ani DiFranco: Not A Pretty Girl (Links to an external site.), written and recorded by Ani DiFranco, 1995
-Lauren Hill: Doo Wop (That Thing) (Links to an external site.), written and recorded by Lauryn Hill, 1998
-k.d. Lang: Nowhere To Stand (Links to an external site.), written and recorded by k.d. lang and the Reclines, 1989
Discussion Questions for Alternative Folk, Hip-Hop, and Country:
- These three singers have all been referred to as alternative artists in their respective genres. In each case, explain why you agree or disagree with this statement and give reasons.
- Describe the important social issue raised in each of these songs, and the writer’s position on that issue.
- Do you believe that social commentary is important in popular music, or that popular music’s main function should be entertainment? Why?
- Which of the three songs most effectively makes it’s point?
- Which of these three artists would you be most likely to listen to more of?
Remember, your initial post should be 400 words minimum and follow the format of the questions, i.e. an ordered list.