Here is a real world scenario that plays out every day in many organizations.
- A Team leader holds a staff meeting on a new project.
- A Team leader assigns tasks and deliverable due dates to team members and team intern.
- Later that afternoon, the intern is standing at the team leaders cubicle asking her to refresh his memory on the tasks and due dates that were assigned to him in the meeting.
- The team leader patiently repeats her instructions.
- Two days later, the intern is standing at the team leaders cubicle asking her to refresh his memory on the 2nd task and due date assigned at the team meeting.
- The next week the intern is standing at the team leader’s cubicle asking her to refresh his memory on the 4th task assigned at the team meeting.
- Hearing the intern’s question, the team leader is suspicious and inquires about the 3rd task assigned to the intern which must be completed before the 4th task.
- The intern’s response: “I forgot about task 3.
Please post your thoughts and observations on this scenario. For example, if you were the team leader, what would be your assessment of the intern’s behavior? What should the intern have understood about workplace etiquette? What is the problem with this exchange and what should the intern have done in the beginning?