When it comes to IT security, you must do more than follow the examples of other companies, regardless of how successful they are. No two organizations will encounter exactly the same problems. The best approach to providing the best level of security is to conduct a risk assessment of your organization, identify what your assets are, what your threats are, and what the probability of the threats occurring may be. This analysis will allow you to create the network defense plan that is uniquely tailored to your organization and situation.
For this assignment, you will write the Risk Assessment section of 5–6 pages, and add it to the Network Security Plan document. Appropriate research should be conducted to support the development of your document, and assumptions may be made when necessary.
- Update previous sections of your document based on feedback.
- Update the Table of Contents.
- Update the date on the cover page.
Risk Assessment Section
- Conduct an inventory of devices within the chosen organization’s network using appropriate tools.
- Provide a summary of the number of desktops, laptops, network printers, and servers.
- Identify key assets.
- Assets also include records and sensitive information that requires special protection.
- Prioritize each asset or group of assets, and assign a value to each.
- Create a subsection that will identify and describe the risks within the environment.
- Do not forget natural disasters.
- Include the likelihood that the risk could occur.
- Provide a list of the tools and methodology that you used to conduct the risk assessment.