Discussion – What Fear Can Teach Us
Writing Circle Guidelines and Instructions
Complete your Individual Response using the prompt given below. Your IR should be written in a separate document then cut/pasted into a new thread on the discussion board. Be sure your IR follows these guidelines:
- Will focus on the specific prompt provided below
- Will be a minimum of 200 words in length to be considered “acceptable”
- “Superior/Exceptional” responses will go above and beyond in detail, clarity, complexity, and thoughtfulness
- Will directly reference the reading(s)/lecture(s) (use at least one citation from each source)
- Will include proper MLA citation and Works Cited listing at the end
Writing Circle Prompt
After watching the assigned video lecture, consider and write about the following:
In her TEDTalk, Karen Thompson Walker describes how the “lurid” and “vivid” fears—the fears “easiest for our imaginations to picture”—is what led the survivors of the Essex to choose the fate of starvation over cannibals.
- In our own society, what to you feel are three (3) of our most lurid and vivid fears? What institutions or social mechanisms are responsible for instigating and propagating those fears?
- How might a collective effort to “read our fears” and respond to them in a more positive way change those problems and challenges we face today?
I will invite you for ask my classmates’s questions about their discussion after finish this discussion!